Thursday, June 22, 2006

Day 8 - 6/2

We got up around 7am and ate breakfast in the morning sun. Then headed to hike Landscape Arch before going over to see Canyonlands. Landscape Arch was very cool to see up close. This wide spanning 306' natural arch.

Then it was off to Canyonlands. The heat was really starting to pick up and I knew it was going to be in the mid 90's. The views were quite something. Looking down the Green River and the maze of canyons. I was not real motivated to hike the 1.5k Ft into the bottom of the canyon once I saw that there is a 102 mile road for trucks that travels along the inside. We decided to stick to shorter hikes with views from the rim. We headed to the end of the park road for a 2 mile rt hike. This is where Logan finally hit his limit. He got cranky about a 1/2 mile in big time. I soon realized that he was exhausted, hungry, and not drinking enough. After what seemed like much longer than a 2 mile hike we rested at the car for a while to eat and drink. We did one more short 1.5 rt hike up to Whale Rock view point and then back. Logan then crashed once in the car. He was done hiking today.

I hit some more view points in the park on the way out and then we headed back to Arches for our last night in Utah. We ate another good Mountain House dinner and then headed to the ranger talk at 9pm. It was like being at a drive in movie out in the desert. There was a big white screen he used to show slides of what he was talking about. It was a great way to finish the trip, under the last of the sunset, basking in the warm evening desert breeze. Aaahhh!

We stayed up a little late to get some night sky photos. I was not getting the great shots I got the night before and my camera was going crazy on me so I called it night and we headed for the tent by 10:30pm. It was great, we slept in the tent with no rainfly and a mesh ceiling. With no city light pollution the stars were out in full force.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home